Want to enjoy the convenience of reliable heating and cooling at your property and increase its value at the same time? Invest in your HVAC system.
This is especially true if you have future plans to sell your home. HVAC upgrades aren’t necessarily eye-catching, but they are essential needs and do offer a good return on investment (ROI) when a property goes on the market should they be newer and functioning well. Simply put: when you invest in your HVAC system, you’re likely to make your money back in the long run, or close to it.
While having a new HVAC system might not be essential in selling your home, you can bet that having one with trouble may be a deal-breaker. Basic heating and cooling is on everyone’s MUST HAVE list.
Questions to Ask
Wondering if it’s time to upgrade? Consider these points…
Is your current system working well? If you’re selling, prospective buyers are almost certain to ask the age of your HVAC system. If it’s less than 10 years old, there’s a good chance it has a great life ahead of it. If it’s older than 15 years, that may be a turnoff.
Do you need to replace it, or is a repair good enough? Consult an HVAC professional for some help here. The test usually goes that if you multiply the age of the unit by the repair estimate and your total exceeds $5,000, replacing it makes more sense.
Is your current system energy efficient? If yes, that’s an added attraction for buyers looking to save on utility bills — and who isn’t? You can also check with your state to see if upgrading to an energy-efficient system will enable you to claim any tax breaks.
Upgrades to Consider
While some systems are costly and can become major projects, other HVAC improvements are simpler and more budget-friendly. Here are some to ponder…
- Insulation. Replacing or adding insulation is fairly easy and a low-risk investment as it typically brings a 95 to 116 percent return.
- Furnace/Boiler. This replacement doesn’t require much labor and newer models are more energy efficient. You can check the age of your furnace by looking up its serial number.
- Air Ducts. Replacing duct work can improve your home’s air quality and ensure it meets the cleanliness level recommend by the US Environmental Protection Agency.
- Windows. Did you know 35 percent of a home’s heat escapes through poor quality windows? Energy-efficient windows are among homebuyers’ most wanted features in a property.
- Roof. You can sometimes recoup up to 105 percent of the cost associated with re-roofing your home when selling. Upgrading to high-tech shingles can relieve stress on your HVAC system and improve indoor comfort. Asphalt shingles can lower a roof’s surface temperature by up to 50 degrees.
- Central Air. Many homeowners now consider central air a standard feature. Installing one in your home could increase its value by up to 10 percent.
- Doors and Weather Stripping. Some of the most energy-efficient material for doors includes fiberglass, steel and vinyl. New weather stripping ensures a tight seal around doors and windows to prevent air leaks and it’s one of the most affordable home upgrade options, costing just a few hundred dollars usually.
We’re here to help solve whatever heating, cooling or HVAC woe you’re experiencing. Call A&T Heating and Air Conditioning in Mohnton, Berks County, PA at 484-516-1017 or visit us online at www.atheatac.com and we can perform the necessary HVAC inspections and service to ensure your systems are functioning properly and safely.