’ Tis the season when the sun kicks into high gear and temperatures soar. The last thing you want to deal with is an air conditioning unit that doesn’t work when you need it.
Before you call on an HVAC technician, there are a few things you can troubleshoot on your own. This can be especially helpful in not only saving you money but by buying you time in the event that your HVAC contractor is busy. Here are some things to give a try…
1. Double-check your thermostat. It may be set to heat instead of air conditioning. You’ll know if hot air is coming from the vents. Sometimes it’s a simple matter of forgetting to flip the switch with the seasons…an easy fix, and relief if that’s the problem!
2. Change thermostat batteries. It’s possible they’ve died if it’s been a while since they’ve last been changed. Fresh batteries will allow the thermostat to properly communicate with your AC unit.
3. Swap out your air filter. When your filter gets too dirty, it doesn’t operate properly and the air cannot flow. More modern AC units are particularly sensitive to dirty filters.
4. Check your circuit breaker. It may have tripped and could just need a reset.
5. Inspect air vents. Be sure all ducts and vents are clear. If they become clogged by dirt and dust, air can’t flow. It’s possible there’s an issue you may not see — like a rodent infestation or a mold issue.
Time to Call for Professional Help
If the aforementioned troubleshooting doesn’t fix your problem, it is time to make a service call. There are also other instances that warrant the help of an HVAC expert. Such times include:
- Strange noises. If you have them coming from your AC unit they could include banging and clanging, which are indicative of a more serious issue.
- Outdoor unit problems. These are best handled by an HVAC technician. Attempting to fix more complex problems could void your unit’s warranty. Seek help from someone with experience in air conditioner repair so you can be assured the job has been resolved correctly.
- Improper installation. If you believe this is your issue, have a professional come out to look and remedy problems.