Is it time to replace the water heater in your home?
Whether it’s due to your old water heater failing, or wanting to upgrade before you run into an issue and need an emergency plumber, there are several options to consider when looking into purchasing a new water heater. First and foremost, you’ll want to be sure your water heating system can provide the amount of hot water needed. Next, you’ll want a system that can operate efficiently, saving you money.
Types of Water Heaters
Let’s break down the options available to you so you can make the best choice to suit your needs.
- Conventional Storage Water Heater: The most popular option, these offer a ready reservoir/storage tank of hot water ranging in size from 20 to 80 gallons.
- Tankless (on-demand) Water Heaters: Tankless systems heat water directly without using a storage tank, which can result in cost savings.
- Heat Pump Water Heaters: These electric water heaters move heat from place to place instead of building heat in one location.
- Solar Water Heaters: Systems that use the sun’s rays to supply hot water. Bonus: use of the sun’s rays is totally free!
- Tankless Coil and Indirect Water Heaters: These use a home’s space heating system to heat water – for example, a gas water heater.
Considerations when Choosing a New Water Heater
To help determine which hot water heater matches up best with your home’s needs, think about:
- Fuel type, availability, and cost. Your fuel will impact the cost to operate the system as well as its size and energy efficiency. Fuel types include electric, fuel oil, geothermal energy, natural gas, propane, and solar energy options. If more than one type is available to you, comparing the costs of your options is a smart plan.
- Size. Be sure it’s large enough to provide the hot water your home needs.
- Costs. Think about how much the system will cost to run over a year’s time and compare costs of a few options that are less or more energy-efficient.
Energy Efficiency. This is important to know as it will impact the cost of running the system as well as how environmentally friendly it is.
Need help making your decision and with water heater installation? Call our experts at A&T Heating and Air Conditioning in Mohnton, Berks County, PA, at 484-516-1017 or visit us online at www.atheatac.com and we’ll happily help you crunch the numbers to see which water heater option is best for you, your home and your budget.